The Gate Studios c.1928
Opened in 1928, the studios were in use until the early 1950s, after which the building was occupied by Harkness Screens Ltd for the production of cinema screens, until 2003 when the studios were earmarked to be demolished to make way for 133 new homes.
Protests against the demolition of the studios building came from an unexpected quarter. The ghost of a man wearing 1920s clothing was seen by workers at the studios and looked like he was guarding something.
The figure was described as a smart, tall, bearded man in his forties to fifties, dressed in a white shirt and black trousers. A cold blast of air accompanied his appearance.
He was seen on several occasions, once in a corridor wearing a long jacket where he was described by the witness as ‘just fading away’.
One morning in 2003, a maintenance engineer at the studios saw a shadowy figure out of the corner of his eye. He was working on the floor, looking up at the cinema screen and saw the figure walk up the gangway and go behind some piles of foam. When no one emerged, he went to investigate but no one was there.
Perhaps you can tell us more about the ghosts of the former studios and whether they wander the site of the new housing development?
1953 Coronation display by Gate Studios on waste ground in Shenley Road