Whilst the Museum is closed and our collections unable to be seen by visitors, we have created a weekly virtual museum with an
Object of the Week feature from our collections.
Object of the Week : R is for Research – specifically Fire Research
Occupying an 11 acre site between Station road and Melrose Avenue from the late 1940s up until the mid-1990s, the Fire Research Station, and later Loss Prevention Council, carried out extensive testing of products for fire resistance and research into new ways of fire suppression. At its height it had a staff of 550 people, working in offices and nine purpose built laboratories. Eventually the Borehamwood site was incorporated onto Building Research at Garston and the vacated area sold for housing. The buildings were demolished in 2001.
Fire Research Handbook 1956 Fire Research Yearbook 1966
The Museum holds many objects connected to the Fire Research Station, including: photos of Directors, Visitor Books from 1945 to 1970, Yearbooks, Handbooks, Files and Documents relating to the investigation into the fire in the Jute Factory in Calcutta in 1947, Staff lists and a Book of Limericks about staff members. We also have various newspaper cuttings and a photographic archive.
Annual Report 1995 Fire Investigation report Jute Factories India