Whilst the Museum is closed and our collections unable to be seen by visitors, we have created a weekly virtual museum with an Object of the Week feature from our collections.
Object of the Week : B is for Boreham Wood Football Club
We realise that B could stand for anything Borehamwood related, but as we have quite a number of items relating to Boreham Wood Football Club in the Museum’s collection, we decided this would be this week’s feature.
Boreham Wood FC, better known as ‘The Wood’, was formed in 1948 from an amalgamation of Borehamwood Rovers and Royal Retournez. They began playing in the Mid Herts League and are currently members of the National League, the fifth tier of English Football. In 2018 the Club celebrated its 70th anniversary by an appearance at Wembley and beating a Football League Club for the first time in the FA Cup, defeating Blackpool 2-1 at home in the first round.
The Club initially played at Eldon Avenue until moving to Meadow Park in 1963 where they have remained.
A full history of the Club can be found on its website: https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk
Here you can see just some of the items the Museum holds in the collection:
A Boreham Wood Football Club Tie
Boreham Wood Youth Football League Fawcett Trophy
Big Match Trophy Cup, presented by London Weekend Television.
We also have a large archive of photographs of players past and present and articles relating to the Club - here's a team from the past!