Whilst the Museum is closed and our collections unable to be seen by visitors, we have created a weekly virtual museum with an Object of the Week feature from our collections.
Object of the Week : W Is For Wellington
This week we turn the spotlight on another of our much loved local establishments. W is for Wellington Pub.
When this pub closed in 2018, we all thought it was the end of it and a block of flats would occupy the space. One of the Museum volunteers raced down to take some photos of the old pub interior before it disappeared for good.
These pictures have been added to our photo collection archive along with some pub memorabilia which was donated to the Museum. Also, not long before it closed, EastEnders filmed a scene in the bar.
Happily though, the pub was refurbished and re-opened and can still be enjoyed today. Here’s a snapshot about its past.
The building started life as a beer house named The Jolly Sailor in 1850. It looked much like a house on the street with a porch over the front door. Late in the 19th century it was renamed The Wellington. This may have had something to do with JBB Wellington starting up a photographic factory in Borehamwood in 1895. The building was almost totally rebuilt in 1908 with a facade that looks much like today. In the 1930s it also became known as The Wellington Hotel. This coincided with the start of the local film industry so possibly there was a need for renting rooms.
There had been very little cosmetic change over the following years until the recent refurbishment.
Fellow W pub was the Woodcock in Croxdale Road, which was closed for good in 2006 after a troubled past. In 2007 it was burnt down before finally being demolished and a block of flats being built onsite.