Whilst the Museum is closed and our collections unable to be seen by visitors, we have created a weekly virtual museum with an Object of the Week feature from our collections.
F – Furzehill Middle School Jumper
The Museum has many items of school uniform and Furzehill is no exception.
Furzehill School opened on 14 October 1912 and was called Boreham Wood County Council School. It was the first County Council School to be built in the parish. It began life as a Junior Mixed Infant School and then became a Middle School in 1974. A pupil who attended in 1947 described the school as: “from the Victorian era with tiny windows high in the wall, outside toilets, and the ever present smell of fresh paint on hot radiators.”
In 1949, the school was destroyed by fire. Luckily there were no pupils present at the time as it happened around ‘teatime’, so no one was hurt. One pupil described how his father rushed home and sat the boy on the child seat of his bicycle to see Furzehill School “ablaze from end to end.”
Other locations had to be utilised so that schooling could be continued, including Shenley Village Hall and Hill House in Elstree. Furzehill was rebuilt but closed in 2001. It was demolished in 2006. Housing and a children’s centre now stand in its place.
With thanks to Eve Glover and John Gates.